Thursday, April 16, 2009

Confessions of an Autism Community

I got this idea from a show I watched on television. There is a woman who wrote a book about confessions from mothers and what they REALLY think and feel. I thought it was very enlightening and therapeutic. I thought I would do the same thing except post some things I have heard others say or things I have felt myself (keeping it all anonymous of course) so that everyone can look at it and see that you're not alone and that it's okay to vent sometimes. :)
..............................
"Sometimes I wish I could go to jail for a day to get a break."
..............................
"I love my children to death.... but sometimes I wish I would have waited longer to have kids."
..............................
"My child is so overweight that I feel ashamed and guilty."
..............................
"I know people judge me by my children's actions and that makes me so mad."
..............................
"Sometimes I go into the bathroom and cry."
..............................
"Most days I feel overwhelmed and unappreciated."
..............................
"I have to admit that there are times when I wonder what it would be like to have normal children."
..............................
"Why can't everyone see that I am just trying my best to raise my children in a world that can't understand autism!"
..............................
"I wish that my best friends could wear my shoes just for a day."
..............................
"I love looking at the world through the eyes of my child."
..............................
"I have sent my child to school drugged with Tylenol and/or decongestant before."
..............................
"I have to admit that I cringe when others tell me that their 'normal' children do the same thing."
..............................
"Maybe I'm a bit too touchy, but when my son says hello and it is not reciprocated I get very upset."
..............................
"One of my worst fears is that I will die and leave behind my autistic child with someone who just wouldn't understand him like I do."
..............................

Those are just a few of the things I could recall. Feel free to "vent" if you want. I think it's important for all moms to realize that we are all trying the best that we can to raise our children in this crazy world of ours. No one feels perfect. We all have our struggles we deal with on a daily basis. Parents of children with special needs have some of the same feelings and struggles. However, it's amplified by our own internal voices and insecurities. My prayer is that those things will be reconciled and that we can focus on what's REALLY important.
******************************************
I know you and you know me
We are as different as the sun and the sea
I know you and you know me
And that's the way it is supposed to be.
(Primary Song: "We Are Different")
******************************************

1 comment:

Gary A.C. Backus said...

It's so sweet that you didn't say the same things about your husband!