Friday, February 19, 2010

An Amazing Mind Willing to Share

A recent night at scouts reminded me about how brilliant the minds of children in the autism spectrum are. It also prompted me to share the following experience with you because I thought it would definitely amuse many of you (especially those who know my children).

My #2 never seizes to amaze me. The other day he was explaining what he knew in the subject of mathematics. He asked me what the highest number I could count to was. I told him that I could count to a trillion. He then proceeded to ask me what the highest number was. I told him I didn't know. He told me that it was "infinity". I vaguely remembered that from college. I told him how proud I was that he knew that. He then asked me if I knew what the lowest number was. Again, I told him I didn't know. He told me it was "negative infinity" and looked at me with such a wide grin... the kind that goes from ear to ear. It was so cute. I was definitely impressed. When he gets in this kind of mood I like to test his knowledge on various subjects so I decided to ask him about aerodynamics. I asked him how a plane stays up in the air. My father is a former helicopter pilot and he explained things to him a couple years ago and even showed him how to fly a flight simulator program on the computer. Needless to say, my #2 remembered a lot! He drew a wing and then explained lift to me and even showed how the wind current goes over a CURVED wing! I was floored. I have always known how smart he is, but I guess I didn't realize how much he retains and how eager he is to share his knowledge with me. I am going to encourage him to explain more things to me in the future. It was so much fun.
******************************
Take time to listen to your
children. You might be amazed
at what you hear.
******************************

No comments: