Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Dealing With "Galzin Indigestion"

My daughter has been taking Galzin now for a few years. At first we didn't have a single side effect and I was so excited. I did my research and found that many people get stomach upset with this particular drug. I was thankful that my daughter was not among those. Well... NOW we are facing some issues with tummy aches in the morning. I wanted to share what we are doing just in case anyone out there is facing the same issue.

Her dose is three times a day and so we give the morning dose with a little food. I make sure that whatever she eats doesn't have fiber. I read that fiber will basically counteract the medicine. She might eat scrambled eggs or some cheese or lunch meat. She seems to do a lot better when we remember to do this. We have been doing this for months and at her last appointment her liver enzymes were still going down. This is good news!

I have a theory about this. I know that theoretically she takes her meds on an empty stomach, but the morning dose is probably the only one she takes on a truly empty stomach. Therefore, it REALLY is hard on her little tummy. I call it "Galzin indigestion" since she is basically digesting only the Galzin in the morning. I am hopeful that it will get better with time or else she will have to get used to it. So far she is a trooper about taking her medicine. It can be an inconvenience at times, but she handles it very well.
*******************************
We call Galzin our magic blue
pill. It has been a miraculous
pharmaceutical invention!
*******************************

No comments: