Saturday, February 7, 2009

Public vs. Private School

This is a continuation of my last post. Since I've had experience with numerous private schools and public schools I wanted to share some of what I learned. I also thought this could be a good "guide" of sorts for those trying to decide between public versus private school. (Disclaimer: I live in "the South" and so things might be a little different down here.)

The first thing to consider is that EVERY CHILD IS DIFFERENT. You might have a horrible experience with one child in a school and then breeze through a year with the next. A good example is my #2 and my daughter. At our elementary school my son had a horrible experience in kindergarten and we ended up pulling him out and homeschooling. However, with my daughter she has had the best year. She is doing great academically and socially. Her teacher is truly a dream come true. The parents are involved and help out tremendously. I feel like I got a private school education for free.

Are private schools better than public? I have been asked this numerous times since my children have attended both. It all depends. Private schools are privately funded.... which means they don't receive the same help public schools do. Therefore, many private schools don't offer things like sports, clubs, scholarship programs, enrichment classes such as Foreign Language,Gifted enrichment programs, and many other things. My son went to a private school in first grade and I was so excited to find out that they offered Spanish. Well... that was short-lived because almost halfway through the year they had to drop the program because the one teacher they had quit, and they couldn't afford to pay another teacher. They also struggled trying to get the books they neededed for the library. That was a shocker for me. Another factor to consider is that many private schools don't have cafeterias. Instead they have catered food from fast-food restaurants and so you either end up paying a lot for lunches or else you have to send it with your child. That leads me to the next point. Private schools cost money! Some of them are extremely expensive and that's just the tuition. You also have fees, uniforms, etc.... On the other side of the coin, it has been my experience that teachers at private schools are generally paid less and so you know they WANT to be there. Usually the classes are smaller and so you get more one-on-one attention for your child. If there is a child who is a "problem" then the school can easily get rid of him/her versus a public school where they have to jump through hoops to get rid of problem children. Private schools typically are maintained and the environment is more conducive to learning. Lastly, if you are not happy with something it's easier to get things resolved. You don't have to worry about a corrupt bureaucracy. They want to keep people there and so they are more likely to listen to a parent's concerns.

Is the curriculum better at a private school versus public? Not always. Again, it all depends on the school. We have a friend whose child went to the most prestigious private school in our area and then decided to transfer to a Magnet High School her second year and she struggled. She had to have tutors and barely passed some of her classes. She was surprised to find out how far behind she was. There are so many factors to consider. First, the amount of students in the class makes a huge difference. Public schools tend to have more students and that has to be harder on the teachers. Private schools don't have to accept EVERY student and they can limit the class size. That is a big plus. Secondly, public schools have to integrate learning disabled children in their classes, whereas private schools do not. This makes it a little easier for teachers since they don't have to worry about teaching children in such a broad spectrum. Lastly, since the class sizes are smaller in the private school setting, the teacher might be able to spot problems earlier on and be able to offer help when needed. It is less likely for a child to fall through the cracks.

The biggest mistake a parent can make when trying to choose the right school for their child is not to check the school out in person and relying ONLY on another parent's opinion. Since every child is different, it only makes sense that every experience will be different. The best time to visit a school is between 10:00am and 12:00noon. You are more likely to find staff that is available to answer questions and you will be able to observe the classes during instruction. The mornings are usually chaotic since the kids are arriving and they haven't settled into their classes. I personally like to visit at least twice before forming an opinion. Some suggestions: observe the teachers and their tone, observe the children and the class size, ask specific questions about their curriculum, don't assume that you will see or "feel" anything wrong, and lastly, speak to other parents whose children attend the school. I remember that when I was checking out Magnet schools for my oldest, one of my friends suggested I accompany her while she went to have lunch with her daughter who attended a particular Magnet school I was considering. The kids were well-behaved and the environment was clean. However, when I walked into the lunchroom and saw all the rules on the walls and how they weren't even allowed to talk during lunch...that helped me make the decision that this particular school was not right for my child.

Choosing the right school for your child is probably one of the hardest decisions you will have to make. For some, there is no choice. I have friends who can't afford private school and they make it work. The one thing you have to remember is that school is what you make it. No matter where you child goes to school, if you are an involved parent and support the teacher then your child is going to excel. When my child went to public school and I realized he was not being challenged I gave him extra work at home. They were fun workbooks and he enjoyed it. That was my way of ensuring that he maintained his love for learning. I have continued to do that with all my children. Another suggestion I have is not to get hung up on academics alone. It's important for a child to be a well-rounded individual. They need play time and social interactions. You need to help provide those opportunities for you children. Lastly, ask yourself if you truly know your child? Do you know what his/her strengths and weaknesses are? That will be crucial when helping your child choose classes, extra-curricular activities, and eventually a career path. I know that ultimately it's the child's decision, but I believe that it's our job to help steer them in the right path.
*************************************
We are shut up in schools and college
recitation rooms for ten or fifteen
years, and come out at last with a
bellyful of words and do not know
a thing.
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-82)
U.S. essayist and poet.
*************************************

No comments: