Saturday, June 6, 2009

Swimming is Truly the Best Medicine!

Our family loves going swimming. We even go during the winter at the indoor pool at the YMCA and it is so much fun. What makes it ideal is that it is great exercise, it helps with appetite, it is very cheap, and it is definitely entertaining. My kids can stay in the pool for hours and that's what we usually do. They often find other kids their age to play with and if there is not anyone around then they play with each other.... imagine that!!

Today I was feeling a little bit lazy and lacking in energy. My plan was to catch up on a little housework and then lounge around. However, the first thing my daughter said when she woke up was, "Can we go swimming today?? Pleeeeeease???" How could I say no? I told the kids we would go under one condition. They would have to clean their rooms while I finished cleaning the downstairs. They ALL ran upstairs and I did not see them again until they finished. My oldest woke up with a bathing suit on and so he didn't even have to change. He was eager to go since we haven't been a few days. He recently had surgery and so he wasn't allowed to get his knee wet. (I will post about that later once we get the pathology report back.)

We went at around noon and didn't leave until 2 o'clock. The sun was blazing hot, but the kids did not mind. I took advantage of "adult swim" this time and did some laps at the indoor pool. It felt good to be able to get some exercise today. I was definitely sore after ten minutes of swimming. I forget how draining swimming can be.... especially when you are not used to it. Swimming laps nonstop is definitely different than swimming around the pool with the kids. I will have to incorporate that into my exercise regime from now on.

Needless to say, when we got home the children were all drained and decided to watch a movie. I just love to see them sit together on the sofa all on top of each other when there is a perfectly comfortable empty love seat available. They truly love each other and it's in the little things like that when it's evident. Of course, summer has just begun, but so far things are going well. They aren't killing each other yet and I am not ready to lock them up either.
****************************
Summer tidbit: Swim lessons
aren't always necessary.
Just get them in the water
and let that positive peer-
pressure be your friend.
***************************

No comments: