Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Medical Insurance Roller Coaster

Here we go again.... it looks like they decided to cover our laboratory testing for now. We never received the itemized bill for our family. I am sure there is a good reason for that. However, the statements they sent don't have duplicate charges on them... very interesting, huh? Maybe it was the not-so-sweet letter my dear attorney husband sent them? Maybe it was my 50+ phone calls to their office? Or maybe it was the fact that they FINALLY received the information from the hospital that they have been requesting since April of last year? Who knows?

Instead of the thousands of dollars they claimed we owed, we started receiving bills for $35.00. There are a couple of $540.00 bills that we are waiting on, but at least we aren't in collections anymore. That was my biggest complaint about the whole process. It seems that they can send someone to collections even though it's the insurance's fault and ruin your credit. I can understand if I NEVER called them or ignored the bills. However, I was totally the opposite. I called them numerous times and let them know what was going on. They assured me that everything would be okay. Here we are almost a year later and the hospital has not been paid.

If I knew then what I know now would I get the testing done? Absolutely yes!!!! It was more than a diagnostic test. It was our peace of mind knowing that our family was safe, and we did not have to worry about Wilson's Disease with any other member of our family. Wilson's Disease is totally treatable if it is caught early enough. If left untreated, it is fatal! Nobody can understand the feeling you go through when you find out that your child has a potentially fatal disease and that the insurance company could care less about it. I repeatedly reminded them that if we did not catch this now, we would have been faced with hundreds of thousands of dollars because she would have needed a liver transplant.

I am thankful for the Lord's mercy and guidance through this process. There were times when I wanted to give up. However, every time I looked into my daughter's beautiful blue eyes I would be reminded of what was at stake. Even when the doctors tried to convince me that she was okay I persisted. Even when one pediatric neurologist told me that I was misled by a "quack doctor" I did not listen. I no longer wonder what helped me through this. I know without a shadow of a doubt that my loving Heavenly Father had a hand in the diagnosis and the health of my child. Medicine and religion CAN coincide. I know this to be true. I also know that there are some awesome Christian doctors out there who are guided by the spirit. I am blessed to have found such doctors.
**********************************
My belief is that God had a hand
in the development of medicine.
Our health is a blessing and we
should treasure each day we have
on earth.
*********************************