Friday, August 21, 2009

I Can't Be The Only One

There are three questions I want answered at this very moment:
#1: Am I the only one who cares about what books my child reads at school?
#2: Am I the only one who cares about what movies my child watches at school?
#3: Am I the only one who feels that values and morals are going down the drain?

When my oldest went to middle school he had to read a few books that were frankly offensive and vulgar. I was shocked at the subject matter and the language. I already have discussed in previous posts how tough middle school can be and adding that issue was enough to give me an ulcer! However, parents have NO say in the books that are in the curriculum and what they watch at school. Parents have NO control over any of the subjects they decide to add or delete. It's no wonder more and more parents are deciding to home school. It definitely makes sense to me.

I have recently learned that high school is not any different. The books they read do not get any better and the subject matter can be gruesome and offensive. I don't want to offend anyone, but I feel that in order to get my message across you have to read what I am referring to. The following is a poem that a movie entitled "Then There Were None" (an Agatha Christie novel) was based on. This is how it goes:

Ten little Indian boys went out to dine;
One chocked his self and then there were nine.
Nine Indian boys sat up very late;
One overslept himself then there were eight.
Eight Indian boys traveling in Devon;
One said he'd stay there then there were seven.
Seven Indian boys chopping up sticks;
One chopped himself in halves then there were six.
Six Indian boys playing with a hive;
A bumble-bee stung one then there were five.
Five Indian boys going in for law;
One got in Chancery then there were four.
Four Indian boys going out to sea;
A red herring swallowed one then there were three.
Three Indian boys walking in the zoo;
A big bear hugged one then there were two.
Two Indian boys sitting in the sun;
One got all frizzled up then there was one.
One Indian boy left all alone;
He went and hanged himself and then there were none

The summer reading list included the book: "And Then There Were None" by Agatha Christie. http://www.bookrags.com/notes/none/SUM.html This website has the synopsis of the book. It is a very interesting story and I, as an adult, would probably enjoy reading it. However, why do 9th graders need to read this book? What does this plot teach children? They see and hear enough violence on the television and nightly news. School should be a place where they can get away from those things. The book is basically about a man who invites eight strangers to an island where they are killed one by one using the methods in the poem. In the end they ALL die. Evidently, all eight strangers had killed someone and the man who kills everyone wanted justice and he arranged the death of all the people. Again... I ask you what is the purpose of reading this novel?

I guess the reason I am so upset about the situation is that they no longer allow prayer in school. I bet if my child decided to bring his scriptures and read them in class there would probably be something "wrong" with that. I think there is definitely something wrong with that!! What kind of future can we expect if we are teaching our children to become desensitized to violence and gore? Where are the values and morals being taught? I do MY part at home. However, I also expect schools to maintain a much higher standard and I believe that parents should have the right to decide what their children can read or watch in school. Parents cannot remain complacent about what is happening in schools. We have to voice our opinions and let our concerns be heard. If we let the government have control over our children's education without our input, then we might as well let government into our homes and raise our children.... thus having control over our children's minds and lives.
*************************************
Don't be afraid to call and talk to
the principal or director of your
school and voice your opinion.
If enough people do that.... perhaps
change is possible. If we sit back
and just let it happen then we might
just one day "wake up" and see that
it's too late.
*************************************

No comments: