Saturday, August 15, 2009

Karate Therapy?

Karate is definitely not on the top of many parent's list as a "therapy" for their child. Why would you expose your child to fighting and aggression? Well.... I am about to debunk a bunch of myths concerning karate and to tell you all that you might just want to try karate. It might surprise you what YOU and your child will learn.

Myth #1: Karate will encourage my child to be aggressive.
Actually karate is considered an "art" and when they start off they will learn moves and "forms" that are associated with the specific martial art they are learning. Your child will probably be disappointed that they won't be actually fighting for quite some time. The main point they will learn is that karate is for protection and not for starting fights. They will learn that the best way to "win" a fight is to avoid one in the first place.

Myth #2: Karate is a very dangerous sport.
Karate is safer than any other sport out there. My daughter got hurt while playing indoor soccer. The main reason was that she didn't have any protection except on her shins. When your child starts to fight in tournaments, it will be when they are in the higher belts and they will be wearing all the appropriate protective gear.

Myth #3: Girls wouldn't benefit from taking karate.
This is so wrong! I think girls should be the first ones to take karate. When I was 12 years old I came home with a black eye from a bully hurting me on the bus. The following day my dad enrolled me in karate. I gained so much confidence and I was never bullied again! Girls have to learn how to protect themselves. They will not only learn vital skills in karate, but gain the self-confidence they need so that they never have to feel like a victim.

Myth #4: My child has ADHD and so he wouldn't be able to handle karate.
The fact is that karate can HELP kids with ADHD. In karate they learn how to focus and pay attention. The repetition and structure of karate is also good for a lot of kids with attention deficits. I have read in numerous sources that they encourage parents to enroll their children in karate to help deal with ADHD. I believe it's definitely something that should be explored.

Of course, I am a bit biased since I have taken karate and now have my children enrolled in it. I have already seen the changes in my children since the first day they started. I am looking forward to seeing some great things happen in the next few months. They look forward to going each day and I have to admit that I enjoy it too! I have only been twice and have learned so much. It is definitely empowering and I hope to stay with it for as long as my children do. It's fun going to classes together. They definitely enjoy seeing their mommy out there on the mat too.

The life lessons that children learn from karate are too numerous to count. There are many programs out there and I encourage you to look at all of them. They are all very different and some are more structured and regimented than others. You know your child and their limitations. I enrolled my children in a very loving, caring, and nurturing environment. It's one of the few places in the country that teaches "Stranger Danger" and is endorsed by the city police department. I love the instructors and the parents are all very supportive. I definitely feel it's the right place for MY kids. I feel blessed to have found this program. It's worth every penny!
*******************************************
Don't take MY word for it... try it out and
see for yourself.
*******************************************

No comments: