Thursday, October 9, 2008

The diet factor (Part I)

I have done a lot of research on different diets out there that are supposed to help with ADD/ADHD and autism. There is so much information that it's almost overwhelming. However, the stories I have read have given me so much hope. I am determined to tell my story to whoever will listen.

As I have already discussed in a previous post, my oldest was diagnosed with ADHD at a young age. Medicines seemed to aggravate his condition and the side-effects were horrible. Unfortunately, our LAST resort should have been our first. We decided to try a special diet that I read in a book that was supposed to help with his symptoms. It was basically a low-carb diet. We also had to avoid red dye, processed foods, and artificial sweeteners. It truly wasn't a hard diet to follow. My son seemed to love the new food I was feeding him for breakfast and he enjoyed not having to take his medicine. He always hated having to swallow those nasty-tasting pills.

We noticed a change right away. We actually saw results faster than with the medicine. It was also a good change for our entire family. I think that processed foods are not good for anyone. When your diet consists mainly of processed foods, your brain is going to suffer no matter who you are. In our church we have what is called the "Word of Wisdom" which faithful members follow. It includes abstaining from tea, coffee, tobacco products, and eating meat sparingly. There is also counsel to exercise the body regularly, eat fruits in season, and wholesome herbs. In my opinion, this is the best "diet" in the world. It is unfortunately one that most people don't follow because of today's lifestyle and fast-paced world.

Let me give you a scenario.... You are a busy working mother who probably stayed up late working on household chores and perhaps catching up on some t.v. shows to wind down from a long day. You wake up and have to get your child ready so you can take him to daycare or school on your way to work. You either pull out some poptarts (the yummy sugary kind that your child loves) or else consider a more healthy breakfast of cold cereal. You decide on the cereal since at least you add milk. It can't be too bad. Then you get ready and pack the bags and drop your child off. You work your 8-hour shift and then decide that you are too tired to cook dinner tonight and so on your way home you grab some dinner at a local fast-food restaurant with a drive-through. You pick up your child and head home. Once home you plop yourself in front of a t.v. with your child and eat your dinner. You put your arm around him thinking that this is such a bonding experience. You give him a kiss on the head and continue to eat your MSG fat-filled hamburger with bacon, lettuce, and tomato.... while your child munches on some chicken nuggets, which consist mainly of fillers and parts, and french fries. Does this sound familiar? It has become a way of life for many people. It is also a contributing factor for a lot of behavioral and health problems in children. This is part of the "environmental factors" that many say contribute to ADD/ADHD and autism.

What did I do to help my child with autism? It was very similar to what I did with my oldest. I have eliminated artificial sweeteners and red dye. I restrict his sugar intake. The biggest thing I do is try to feed him 5 times a day. That is the best way to keep his sugar level steady. He gets breakfast. At school he gets a snack. They have lunch at noon. Then when he gets home I feed him a good snack such as a sandwich or fruit. We finish the day by eating dinner usually by 6pm. That gives him almost two hours to digest his food and get settled for the night. A consistent bedtime is important for our son. He does best when he gets a good night's sleep.

As you can see, these "special diets" are not very extreme. They are actually good for any kid. They are also good for the entire family. There is plenty of scientific evidence to show that they work. I am sure that any pediatrician would agree that those diets are valid.

Now....I am prepared to talk about the controversial one.... The casein/gluten-free diet. My pediatrician doesn't believe it works. He actually told me that it was just a coincidence! Imagine that... does it surprise you? Well, I am here to tell you that something happened after I started that diet with my daughter. We started with just the milk-free part. I thought it was too extreme to change to no milk and no wheat overnight. We started using soy milk and products. I was surprised at how easy the transition was for my family. Everyone loved the vanilla-flavored soy milk that I got. My daughter didn't love the soy cheese but she ate it. I started to pay more attention to the health food isle and I noticed a lot of products that were available. I also went to a natural health food store and was amazed at the products available. It became more obvious that I wasn't the only one following this "crazy" diet.

I did my research on this diet and found a lot of proof that it works. I found numerous doctors who believe in it and who have a good explanation. My neurologist had told me that in some kids milk turns into a morphine-like substance in the brain. This could explain why my daughter slept so much. I have to look at all possibilities when it comes to my daughter since she has a metabolic problem and there are a lot of factors involved. As I said before, my pediatrician did not give credit to the diet. He said it was a coincidence. He asked me if I took her off of it, and I said that eventually I did. He responded, "See...that tells you right there that it wasn't the diet!" Well... let me ask you all this: if you have child who is having trouble speaking and you begin speech therapy and they start speaking better, does that mean that the speech therapy worked? Or is it a coincidence? Is there any way to prove it? My answer is that there is no way to prove that speech therapy works. People could say that given time the child would have learned to speak...right? There is also no way to prove that this diet works. It just does!!! However, I do have to say that it doesn't work with all kids. I think it's because not all kids are affected by milk in the same way.

I could go into all the medical information about how the diet works. However, I think there is a doctor that explains it better than I ever could. I found him one day on "youtube". I must say that he does have a lab and so he does have some vested interest in "selling" his ideas. However, my neurologist also told me the same information and he was just a doctor... not a philanthropist. This is the link to the clip and I urge you to watch it. It's not very long and it is very informative: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7op0m8BtmY
He explains delayed food allergies. He feels autism is an autoimmune disease. He thinks it's partly due to too many vaccines too soon. The target organs are the brain and the gut. He feels timing of vaccines is critical in some children. He doesn't think that vaccines should be one-size fits all. He feels it's critical to figure out the allergens that cause problems and he has a lab that can test for that. Early diagnosis and treatment before age of 3 is critical. That is why I think ALL parents of children with autism should be educated. The earlier they get started the better the chances. Dr. Dan explains that if there is a chance of autism then don't wait for a diagnosis that might not come until the age of 4 or 5. Start NOW! His site to find out more information on testing can be found at: www.sagemedlab.com
I am planning on trying to get that done with my son and I will try and keep you posted on what I find out and if I am successful. I am sure my doctor will not make it easy for me. I wish I still worked at the lab because I could easily have my children's blood drawn and do it myself. I think it would be a good thing to do that for all my children. There is still so much we don't know about food and the way it affects the brain. I just wish that someone had all the answers.
************************************
I know the truth will one day come,
although it's already come for some.
************************************

No comments: