Monday, January 19, 2009

Home School Q & A

There are many who are considering homeschooling their children but are too afraid of what to expect. They might feel inadequate or think they would not be able to do it. I would love to dispel some of those concerns and give you some information that might help you in making that decision. Of course, I am not the "expert" in homeschooling. You should check requirements in your state. Each state has different laws and the following information is for Alabama. However, I would like to share with you some of MY concerns I had and what I learned from my experience in homeschooling my own children.

Question: How do I get started?
Answer: It's easy to get started. First, you need a cover or "umbrella" school. You can go online and find one or just get some suggestions from other homeschoolers in your area. (That's what I did.) Each one offers different things. I wanted a "hands-off" approach and so I picked one that had that philosophy. You follow their instructions and basically "enroll" in their school. They usually charge a minimal fee and require things like attendance to be submitted once or twice a year.

Question: What curriculum do I use?
Answer: There are countless numbers of books out there. You don't have to follow a set curriculum. I decided on ABEKA with my oldest because that's what they used at his private school, and I thought it would be an easier transition for him. However, I know of many parents who mix their books and use online resources. As a matter of fact, with my #2, I used online resources more than anything because I could better plan and tailor his work. They even have online schools that you can use. If you feel that's the route you need to take, just make sure you check out the accreditation and the curriculum they use. In the end, it's all up to the child and how they learn. You know your child better than any teacher does.

Question: How much time will this take? Will I still have time for myself?
Answer: This is a valid question. On average, it takes half the time to home school a child the same information it takes an entire day or even two days in a public school setting. You have to remember that they are getting one-on-one instruction and then they are required to do independent work. I found that doing daily checklists with my oldest worked the best and when he was done, he had the option of doing the next day's work or having free time. You will have to figure out creative ways of having time for yourself. Depending on the age of the child, you may not have the luxury of leaving him/her alone while you run errands. Things will definitely change and that is something to consider.

Question: Will my child get enough social interaction? (this is my favorite one)
Answer: At school, they aren't allowed to talk to other kids during instruction, during music class, during computers, sometimes even during lunch (a.k.a. "silent lunch")... so in reality they don't have enough social interaction during normal school. They get the social interaction when you let them play with other kids in the neighborhood, join them in sports or other extracurricular activities, church, or scouts, for example. Parents are the best teachers of manners and other social skills. When you home school you will find that those social interaction opportunities come and a little research on homeschooling playgroups won't hurt either.

Question: Is this something I will have to do forever?
Answer: No. You can do this for a year or two... it's all up to you. I chose to do it for a year with each of my sons. I could have done it longer, but I chose not to. I had different reasons with each of them, but the point is that they transitioned just fine into public school and private school settings.

Question: Do I need to protect myself in case of legal action?
Answer: YES! I recommend the HSLDA (Home School Legal Defense Association). They charge a minimal fee and they will represent you if there is a problem. This is their website: www.hslda.org They keep up with laws in various states and you will receive their newsletter once you join with valuable information. Home schooling is becoming more and more popular so the chances of someone turning you in for child delinquency, for example, are very rare.... but it can happen. It's my "Murphy's Law" insurance. It doesn't hurt.

Question: Can I home school a child with special needs?
Answer: Yes, you can!! My oldest had ADHD and I was able to meet his needs. In a way it was a blessing to home school him when I did. All the teachers wanted me to medicate him and he was having adverse reactions including paranoia. My #2 has autism and I was able to home school him with no problem. We actually bonded during the year I homeschooled and I felt it was the best thing I could have done for him. If I would not have found the school he attends now I would still be homeschooling him to this day. You see.. as his mother you know how your child learns and you can better adapt the curriculum and material to his needs.

Question: How can I know how he is doing in comparison to his peers?
Answer: It really shouldn't matter, but unfortunately we live in a society that makes that a priority. What I did was request my son take the standardized testing that was offered at the school we were zoned for. By law they have to let you take the test. When the results came in they mailed them to me. It was actually easier to do than I thought. Plus, I have that testing in my records in case I ever need the results for anything. Another thing I did was take him to a Sylvan Learning Center. I have to admit that it was pricey. However, they tested him and I was reassured when he tested above grade level.

Question: Any tips that helped while home schooling?
Answer: Stay organized and keep good records. If you decide to put your child back into regular school, you need to have records and sample work to show the school. When my child applied for Magnet School the principal requested actual written work that he had done. It was nice to be able to hand over folders of testing and written work to prove that I wasn't making up his grades. Another tip I would like to share with you is that you should try and find a good support network. I had wonderful friends who homeschooled and they were there for me with support, answers, and guidance. It was nice getting together once in a while and letting our children play. I think it's important to find a group you can do that with. Lastly, don't underestimate YOUR potential and how much YOU know. If you need any help, online resources are wonderful. Also, the local library offers a lot of programs. Look into that as well. Oh... and I forgot that you can always cover church doctrine into your studies. We incorporated scripture study into our curriculum.

I hope this information is useful to anyone considering homeschooling their children. I think it's the hardest thing to decide, but the rewards are too numerous to measure. I think that it's important to understand that in order to do a good job, things will have to change. There are many things to consider and there will be a lot of trial and error when you begin. Just don't give up. It will take a couple months before you get into an established routine. Once you do, you will be amazed at how easy it truly is. Good luck!!!
****************************
Teaching your children is one
of the most rewarding things.
Seeing their eyes light up
when they finally get it....
that's truly priceless.
****************************

1 comment:

Gary A.C. Backus said...

I highly recommend home schooling if the school system is not performing as expected. However, it is very important that when you home school you have a curriculum, whether it is one you plan or some company plans for you. Home school does not mean built-in babysitter so you can go be social.

DW did super those times she has home schooled. She went so far as to do regular testing, and even transcripts!