Friday, January 9, 2009

Wind Beneath My Wings

One thing that I want people to know is that there is definitely strength in numbers. I believe that when you have a group of parents who say the same thing and get together, their voices become amplified and they can be heard. I also believe that doctors who have children with special needs have a vested interest in prevention and treatment and therefore are better equipped to handle those type of patients and their parents.

Going to support groups is a good thing. Reading books is a great thing. Researching and finding all you can about a topic is a spectacular thing. I have experienced so many "chance encounters" with information and people while doing my research I can't even begin to explain it. It has given me hope and the knowledge to understand things I never understood before. Sometimes I am amazed at how I stumble across things and then I have the faith to follow it and I see results. Only through the spirit of God can this be achieved.

When I went to my last support group in Auburn I heard many things. Some things I sort of dismissed as "whacky" or "too weird for my blood"... however, there were other things that really made sense. I want to share some of those things with you. One of the things Lauren (the keynote speaker) spoke about was the "leaky gut syndrome". I had heard that term used before but had never quite understood what it meant. She explained it very simply. She said that "the digestive system is cosidered by many to house the root system of our health. There needs to be a balance of good and bad flora in the digestive system. When something happens to disrupt this balance and the bad flora takes over then yeast (especially candida albicans) can grow roots right through the intestinal wall making it permeable or leaky. Candida releases 79 toxins into the body. These toxins can leak out of the intestines and enter the bloodstream. This condition is called leaky gut syndrome." She recommended the use of Nystatin to treat chronic yeast overgrowth. Evidently, the yeast does not become resistant to it and it's safe to use for extended periods of time even in children. Nystatin is not absorbed into the bloodstream. Your pediatrician can consult with a Dr. Truss about the course of treatment."

She said that when she started the Nystatin with her own children and herself she saw an abrupt end to the vicious cycle of recurrent ear infections, ended complaints of rectal itching, brought about a resolution of chronic runny nose and cough, reduced symptoms of interstitial cystitis within two weeks, controlled toe walking in her children, greatly reduced "brain fog" and depression, ended 20 years of tremors she had in her hands, and greatly reduced auditory sensitivity. I found that to be AMAZING!! I wonder how many other families would benefit from this course of treatment?

She recommended a good book entitled: Help for the Hyperactive Child (written by Dr. William Crook). It talks about food allergies and sensitivities and how they play a role in a child's behavior. By figuring out what foods your child is allergic or sensitive to, you can eliminate a lot of bad behaviors such as hyperactivity, restlessness, etc... It is truly amazing how much food plays a role in a child's behavior. Even a "normal" child might be sensitive to certain foods and you might not realize it. I am definitely going to find this book and read it. It sounds fascinating and it seems to be filled with good practical information.

She gave two websites: www.bodyecology.com and www.bedrockcommunity.org
They both have information on the body ecology diet. I am not sure if I am going to try it yet, but it sounds very interesting. I would be curious to see if it worked for my family. From what I see it can't hurt. However, I will definitely need to make sure that the copper content is not too high for my daughter with Wilson's Disease. At first glance, it looks like it might actually be okay.

Lauren also discussed discipline. She gave a very good quote: "What is the first rule for disciplining children? You must have more discipline than the child." I thought that was good. I am definitely quilty of reprimanding my children while in anger. That's not good. Showing your child loss of control is not showing a good example. Your children look at your every move. They learn how to treat others from you. They also learn respect from you. The way you treat your spouse is very important. If your child sees you being disrespectful towards your spouse then how do you expect them to show YOU respect? She went over some alternatives to things we might say. For example, instead of saying, "Are you ready for bed?"... say, "It is time for bed." Another one: "Do you want some lunch?"... say instead, "It is lunch time. We are having chicken, green beans, and carrots." Be in control of the conversation with your child. Do not allow the child to draw you into the conflict.

As you can see, the information was wonderful. I thought it was rather comprehensive and I learned a lot of things. The best part of the whole experience was the contacts I made. I also found about the pediatric group in Montgomery that I am going to check out. I am hopeful that they are who I need to change to. I am sure that they will be more helpful than my current pediatrician. It's a shame that I didn't find out about them sooner. Who knows?
**************************************
I am not going to pout about what might
have been, but rather rejoice in the
hope of the future.
**************************************

No comments: