Friday, March 19, 2010

Surviving Spring Break In Sickness And In Health

This Spring Break was definitely a challenging one for me. My husband had to work and so we didn't get a chance to go out of town. However, in hindsight I believe it was probably a blessing because I spent most of the time cleaning up vomit, diarrhea, and taking care of fevers. I can't imagine being on vacation with sick kids. That would be a total nightmare!

We basically had a "staycation" and made the best of it. My oldest, who is thirteen, was the one who was sick most of the time. In a way, that made it easier for me. I took the younger three to places like Pump It Up (an indoor inflatable playground for kids and adults), bowling, and was able to leave my oldest at home to rest. The weather was so nice and we definitely spent some time outside. Getting that Vitamin D sure does something for the soul.

The children actually enjoyed relaxing while watching television and/or playing on their Nintendo DS. They loved not having to go to school and did not complain too much. I guess I must have kept them busy enough that they didn't even notice that we didn't go out of town like most of their friends. Sometimes we parents forget that time is usually what they want. If we fill our time during a vacation with traveling and schedules then it's not TRULY a vacation.

Although it would have been nice to get away this week, I am not going to complain too much. I am going to count my blessings that MY health was fine, and that I was able to handle the sick kids. I am also thankful for being able to spend some quality time with my children. They are growing up before my eyes and one day I won't have my sweet babies at home anymore. My oldest is about to pass me in height and that is surreal.

We are planning on going camping as a family and trying out our new three bedroom tent! It's going to be so fun and the weather should be nice. We are so lucky to live in an area where the cold winters don't last very long. Our Springs are mild and wonderful. They are the perfect camping weather. There is an area that my husband found for us that is only about forty minutes from where we live that should be perfect. I can't wait for my oldest to show off his camping skills with all of his siblings. Plus, I just love smores and burnt marshmallows... YUM!!!
*************************
Our family vacation to be
continued.....
*************************

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.